Mr. T. P. Blythman left at the beginning of the term to teach at Foster's School, Sherborne, Dorset, and at Mid-term, Mr. L. S. Jones left to teach at Chiswick County School. Our sincere good wishes go with them in their new appointments. Mr. Webb's place as Senior Biology master has been filled by Mr. W. M. Bigham. Our welcome extends to many gentlemen who have joined the staff this term, and bring to the school a fine collective record of high academic honours as well as long and meritorious war service. In them the Staff has renewed a quarter of its strength. Mr. C. W. Butler comes for Science, Mr. F. J. Anthony and Mr. H. J. Mees for History, Mr. A. G. Stevens and Mr. J. L. D. Ciano for Economics and Modern Studies, Mr. R. J. Hartles (1937-44) and Mr. A. E. Phillips for Physics, Mr. G. K. Connelly and Mr. A. E. Bundy for English, and Mr. I. P. Waters for Mathematics. We welcome also as Student-Masters Mr. Ejaife and Mr. Lubin. The School roll is 771 boys, of whom 177 are with us in the VIth Form.
We single out for special commendation [in the year's examinations] Lane and Buist (U VI Sci.), who were awarded State Scholarships, and S. Hall (U VI Sci.), who was declared a reserve.
Our new Dining Hall has been in operation since the beginning of the term. To Mrs. Fowler (whom we welcome) and her staff must be given praise for the splendid meals served, their variety, and the high qulity of the cooking.
For the first time, the School Eight rowed in the Schools' Head of the River Race. They finished 19th out of 23 in 10 mins. 8 secs.
We regret that we cannot find room to print in full a charming and appreciative letter from L. J. Buchanan, Esq., Headmaster of the School at Murton, Victoria, Australia. He was among a group of soldier-teachers visiting the school in 1919. As a token of affection and remembrance in our present difficulties his School is sending a parcel of groceries. It is one of those letters which, in the sincere warmth of greeting, make us all feel that the Commonwealth is a family of nations, holding the Mother Country in honourable affection.
Among the choristers of westminster Abbey who sand the choral parts of the Royal Wedding Service on November 20 were A. Gorwood (IVb) and G. A. Gibbs, late of IIIb.
On October 2nd the U VI Mod. attended a day's lectures at the London School of economics. On November 27th a talk on "Norway" was given to the whole VI Modern by Mr. Solli, Secretary at the Norwegian Embassy.
A party of 207 boys went to the White City as spectators at the Middlesex Schools' Athletic Championships, where the School team was placed 5th in the Senior Championship. The Ivanhoe Shield and medals won by the school in the Cross-Country Championship were presented to the captain and team.
M. W. Bowley, D. Carter and R. P. Carter played in the Boys' Golf Championship at Hoylake in August. All were drawn against boy international players in match play: Bowley and D. Carter were narrowly beaten on the last green. R. P. Carter returned a card of 78 (the scratch score for the course) in the International Trial, was placed 4th, but being young was not given a place in this year's team.
The Scout Bazaar and Fair was a great success, and £120 was raised for the funds of the three troops and Rovers.
The B.B.C. sent thanks and praise for the work of John Bird (IIIa) who helped in the broadcast in connection with Canadian Education Week.
A letter from the Air-Officer Commanding No. 65 (London Reserve) Group expresses his thanks to F/Lt W. G. E. Duke for the "magnificent job of work you have done for the A.T.C. for so many years." Mr. Duke feels that this appreciation should be shared by the officers under his command in No. 551 Squadron (Harrow County School) A.T.C. They are F/O H. W. Brister, F/O R. S. King, F/O S. J. Robinson, F/O T. P. Blythman, F/O S. F. Fooks, M.C., F/Lt H. W. Webb, Warrant-Officer Cl. I. J. Fox. F/O S. J. Robinson retains his commission pro tem.
The following boys - Russell, Read, Cleave, Carter, Thomas, Barber, Barnes, Lucas, Gilpin and Grierson - should be highly commended for their admirable effort in the decoration of the new Dining Hall with nine panels depicting the "Life of the Farmer." The credit for the designing of these mural decorations is shared by Russell, Read and Cleave.
We are indebted to A. Rains (V B) for presenting to the School Museum a number of curios from New South Wales and elsewhere.
Source: Gaytonian, December 1947 (edited by Mr. Sidney Fooks)